A team of binmen in Tameside, Greater Manchester have been praised for their bravery and quick thinking after they rescued a man from his burning home whilst on their daily rounds.
Lee Hewitt, Anthony Hibbert and Stephen Rhodes were working on a street in Ashton-under-Lyne when they noticed smoke billowing from one of the houses. Upon further investigation, they found the back door ajar with the man collapsed inside.
The newformed rescue team then carried the man, who was suffering from smoke inhalation and struggling to breathe, to safety before calling fire and ambulance crews and evacuating a neighbouring house.
Ian Saxon, Director of Operations and Neighbourhoods at Tameside Council said: “The crew’s swift and brave actions most probably saved this man’s life.
“Their selfless dedication is a reflection of how our frontline staff are an integral part of the community, often going above and beyond their roles to make a positive difference to local people’s lives.”
Fire and Rescue Manager for Stockport and Tameside Phil Nelson said: “This incident could have had deadly consequences if it were not for the quick thinking of the bin crew on that morning.
“This incident is a reminder that we all need to be careful at home and consider what we can do to keep ourselves safe from fire, such as installing smoke alarms throughout our properties. You can find more information on fire safety at home on our website.”